Listen to Roll On!This is one of the songs that growing up, we would sing to ALL the time. My dad traveled a lot on business and somehow made this our theme song when he would go away. I remember we would have the tape playing, yes I said tape, and we'd pull into the garage but have to stay idle until the song was over. Growing up in Napa Cal, there were not many 18 wheelers driving around and I totally remember counting the wheels on a big rig to see if it was an 18 wheeler or not!
I never knew just how precious these Rigs are to southerners. Let a guy drive a peterbuilt and he's a happy man.
Then of course the Judds:
My dad would drive me to seminary and we would listen to the new technology, the CD player, and he had the Judds playing every morning. I remember this new song he liked called John Deer Tractor. I swore I would learn that song and sing it just like Naomi did!
Then of course, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson, Johnny cash, Crystal Gayle, Ronnie Milsap, Dolly Parton, Barbara Mandrell, and onto Billy Ray, and George Straight. With the Beach Boys thrown in there too! I did live in Cali!
But I have to say this genre of music I think just set the tone for where my life would take me! I have always loved wide open spaces and fields and horses, all that counrty stuff! I never thought however I would live where I do. Kentucky for me is a dream, and I often look around and see all I have and feel so blessed.
I love the people, their Christian ways, I love that I can walk out of Walmart knowing everything that was on the mind of my cashier lady. I love that "just down the road" means at least 20 minutes away. And if you are going to say something about someone you have to follow up with "bless her heart".
Words I learned that I never knew exsisted- Piddle- means wasting time, doing nothing. I thought it meant to go pee. Shindig- a dance or type of party. MESS- someone who just carries on, you'd say "she's a mess". Do-Hicky- a Thing-a-ma-jig, Aim to- planning on doing something
And then the sayings, oh brother my father in law has a mess of those. Aaron gets worse with them the older he gets. He will say "your on me like white on rice" meaning I'm nagging him.
All this and more is why I love where I love, how we live and I never plan to move. Sorry Cali/AZ family :( I swear ya'll would love it here!
So thanks Dad for prepping me for this good ol' country livin'

3 comments:
Cute story!!
HAHAHA! I totally laughed and my heart strings sorta miss KENTUCKY! It would be nice to be able to live there and close to family!!! I am glad you truly LOVE it there.
I can still see the Cali girl in ya!!! :)
Post a Comment